PRESS AND MEDIA
Celebrate the history of innovation in America and help us educate and inspire the next generation of inventors.
The 10 Million Patents Campaign
Issuing patent number 10 million
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) issued patent number 10 million on June 19, 2018. This marks an extraordinary milestone for the USPTO, the United States, and all of humanity.
Ten for 10 Million
Which 10 patents have transformed how you live, work, or play? We're seeking writers, bloggers, historians, and technologists to take deep—and not so deep—dives into your favorite industry and highlight the 10 patented technologies that propelled it forward, or maybe the ones that sent it in an entirely new direction.
Redesigning the patent cover
For just the second time in a hundred years, the USPTO has redesigned the U.S. patent cover—the seal-and-ribbon document awarded with each patent grant. The new design, which pays homage to the classic elegance of its predecessors, was unveiled March 11, 2018, at the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas. The USPTO began distributing it to new patent recipients on June 19, 2018, starting with U.S. patent no. 10,000,000 and all subsequent utility patents. Also starting on June 19, all newly issued design, plant, and reissue patents bear the new patent cover.
- Media kit
- Event information
- Director’s remarks at the unveiling
- Commissioner for Patents’ remarks at the unveiling
- Images (password to download images: sxsw)
- New patent cover design
Social Media for #10MillionPatents and #TheRealMcCoy
Spread the word about 10 Million Patents to help educate and inspire the next generation of inventors and celebrate the history of American innovation. We encourage everyone to freely use and distribute the materials below. For more information contact Elizabeth Chu at Elizabeth.Chu@USPTO.GOV.
- #10MillionPatents – patents throughout U.S. history and issuance of patent number 10 million
- #NewPatentDesign – newly redesigned patent cover
- #Tenfor10M – 10 important (or important-to-you) patents for a specific industry or technological field
- #TheRealMcCoy – patented inventions in your everyday life
- Found #TheRealMcCoy in [city, state or country] with US [patent number]. Let’s celebrate American innovation and #10MillionPatents!
- I spy #TheRealMcCoy with patented invention [Name of invention or patent number] here in [city, state or country]. Spotting patents everywhere as #USPTO celebrates #10MillionPatents.
- Hey @USPTO! #TheRealMcCoy is in [place] with this patented #invention – [name of invention and/or patent number].
- Commuting home (or to work) and found this patented #invention! #TheRealMcCoy.
We’re visiting (city, state or country) with #TheRealMcCoy and discovered this patented #invention, [name of invention and/or patent number].
*Remember to attach your image of Elijah J. McCoy posing with the patented invention!
Suggested Facebook post:
Help Elijah J. McCoy, the 19th century inventor of an improved steam engine lubricator, learn about and celebrate the history of innovation in America. I helped show
#TheRealMcCoy in [city, state] this patented invention [name of invention and/or patent number]. Get your own version of McCoy at https://10millionpatents.uspto.gov/social-media.html #10MillionPatents
*Remember to attach your image of Elijah J. McCoy with the patented invention!